Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edge of the Art - Whats Best: CDP, Server or Streaming
(02-Jun-2015, 02:38)MusicFirst Wrote: So I'm Curious.  As someone who is still wed to the SP/DIF of my Esoteric UX-1.
Does the best digital reproduction lie in state of the art disc player-DACs; Servers; or Streaming?

Kerry

I would say that in the past decent CD players had the edge despite all the marketing hyperbole to the contrary from Linn (among others). Possibly the very best CD players still wear the SQ crown.

However music servers and streamers have been catching up fast lately. In my opinion this has happened because we have begun to pay more attention to the impact of the LAN and computers on sound quality, with the advent of one box solutions such as the Aurender effectively combining storage and streamer functionality and removing the need to stream over a network. Melco appear to have taken the concept a step further by addressing the way that files are saved and read on a hard drive and optimising everything around digital storage.

Lots of new products coming out so it's an exciting time for digital reproduction.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Edge of the Art - Whats Best: CDP, Server or Streaming - by GuillaumeB - 02-Jun-2015, 17:01