Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass response - how deep should my speakers go for a lifelike sound at home?
Going back to the original point of this thread I think a speaker should at least be able to reproduce 41 Hz (the lowest note on stringed instruments) and that with enough dynamic range and speed (that what many small woofers miss). Of course being able to reproduce 30Hz would be nice but anything below that I consider unnecessary and requires a lot of effort to really reproduce well in a room.
in short: more important is the quality of the bass (impulse response, distortion etc) than how the deep the -3dB point is.
An other comment to subwoofer placement: they can be optimized for in room response independent of the main speakers but then there is the problem of the upper crossover point (interference patterns from identical sound sources). The distance of main speakers and subs should be within less than 1/4 wavelength. So either not so far from the main speakers or low crossover point!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bass response - how deep should my speakers go for a lifelike sound at home? - by Music or sound - 11-Jul-2015, 17:07