Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers
Thanks guys and I hope I've explained this effort in such a way that your and my concerns have been demonstrated in both word and deed. And ideally everyone here understands this is no attempt at making a bookshelf sound like the proverbial 800lb gorilla (floor-stander). That its merely exploratory in nature and in keeping within prudent and well thought-out practices. I totally agree with you guys on researching potential SAM profile speakers and comparing them to your particular speaker and staying within close proximity of each other spec-wise. Of course that's easier to do if your speaker manufacturer uses off-the-shelf drivers from the likes of Accuton, Fostex, Morel, Scanspeak, Seas and others as their specification list is always more extensive, comprehensive and widely available than manufacturers using proprietary drivers who limit their public disclosure to minimum required to market a speaker. Sure they'll list freq response, sensitivity, ohms etc... they have to! But they never list things like linear excursion and total mechanical excursion or other info that would be helpful to us in the unique position of finding a potential SAM match that works better than SAM "off" for unSAMable speakers. And that's the ONLY reason I can find to even consider this pursuit. Ya gotta know I'm not doing this to find less than I had originally. But the exceedingly good luck I had yesterday while appreciably rare drives me on. I realize, against all odds that I probably found Valhalla yesterday but until I try other profiles I remain optimistic that at least the promise of something even better remains. Only thing I know for sure; I'll never know unless I try!

Later this morning I'm off to snag a dozen or so 2GB SD cards as I'm woefully short to do this right and be able to attempt any kind of qualitative side-by-side A/B comparisons. I do love how configurator allows on-the-fly configuration changes in the Devialet with only a 15 second pause in music when inserting the new SD card without powering down. The way you can swap configurations mid-track and keep going... how cool is that!?!

The one thing I'd like to specifically address is Jean-Marie's parting comment; "I really think the only risk is less accurate reproduction" while I contend there's also the risk of MORE accurate reproduction! If "less" was the bona fide, guaranteed outcome in every SAM profile swap then this effort would be tantamount to Einstein's (perhaps mis-attributed) theory of insanity.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers - by Manoet - 11-Jun-2015, 13:31