Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 ------my first 4 months
Well here are my thoughts after owning my 200 for just over 4 months, warts and all.
First thing to say is that this will appear to be a negative posting to some who read it, but after weighing it all up the 200 has a sound to die for and you know what at the end of the day that’s the most important thing about hifi.
I do feel however that you have to be a hi fi lover to really embrace the Devialet range full. I am not really a hifi lover, but I am a music lover. I think there is a difference. I had no idea that the setting up of the Devialet would be so troublesome and the support and documentation from Devialet does really leave a lot to be desired. This forum is the only reason I got through that first week – surely this should not be the case. People on this forum took a lot of time out to help me and to them I am eternally thankful and I have no doubt I will need them again.
So 6k and AIR is simply too unstable to use – this is the biggest disappointment. I use the word disappointment but the truth is I have no idea how Devialet get away with it as it affects a lot more users than they would care to admit. I am now back to using a CD transport as my full budget and more went on the 200. This is my biggest disappointment. For me 6k is a large amount of my cash and I cant help but feel that I am not getting the best out of the 200. When using AIR I get about an hour before the white noise kicks in. This has virtually stopped me using AIR. This is a shame as I love the sound quality with AIR. It is simply the best that I have ever owned – hence the frustration.
I have got the Dialog and I am pinning all my hopes on this working and giving the same SQ as AIR…………..just have no idea when it will be available.
I guess I should have researched more before I bought the 200, as I had no idea that upgrades were prone to bugs and it is also rather time consuming. Infact I have not even upgraded to the new version 8 as it took me that long to get my configurator right at set up. I have a headphone amp and had to change all of the inputs to accommodate that, so the thought of starting all that over again do not really appeal. I know I have to do it sometime though.
The big question is would I swap the 200 for my cash back and the answer is NO. I am not really that technical and to be honest when dealing with my music I really don’t want to have to mess about with various bits of software, but when I heard the 200 it was an instant WOW. It still is 4 months later. After all this is what is really of most importance. I have not owned any other high end piece of kit so I cant compare it to those, but it blew my old M6i amp out of the water in every way. Bass and soundstage in a different league.
So pleased with the purchase , disappointed with the AIR issues and hoping Dialog solves it all.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Messages In This Thread
Devialet 200 ------my first 4 months - by Womaz - 23-Jun-2015, 18:55