Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early impressions, musings & pondering a Sub addition
I have had a REL Studio for around 20 years. I bought it from REL before Richard Lloyd sold up. I used it powered by the speaker outputs of my amplifiers until I got my second Devialet D-Premier which seemed to me to be potentially incompatible with the common earth connection mode.
On the Devialet I have rewired the sub cable to use the mono sub preamp output. My speakers are pretty well full range anyway, and the sub really adds very little on music. Sound effects on movies are the main beneficiary of a sub with my speakers in fact.
I would expect the Triangles will benefit very little from a sub on most music too, their -3dB point is 35Hz.

The REL philosophy has always been not to interfere at all with the main speakers but to just fill in bass lower than the main speakers go, hence the fine adjustment of upper roll off frequency.
I must say I prefer this approach personally, and the REL was the first sub I had heard which wasn't "obvious" and exaggerated on music.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
RE: Early impressions, musings & pondering a Sub addition - by f1eng - 04-Aug-2015, 21:00