Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Air (OS X) Problem, what problem?
(05-Aug-2015, 09:13)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Having found Air massively frustrating and annoying so far, I've realised that was nothing compared to highres playback. Most of my library was 44.1, and now I've added a few more highres files Air is practically useless. A joke really. I can barely get through a whole track before the crackles start and the Air app has to be quit and restarted.

How Devialet aren't massively embarrassed about this is beyond me. And how they continue to advertise it is simply unbelievable. Sorry those that defend it, but it simply doesn't work.

As soon as an iOS remote comes out for roon, I'll abandon and go USB via that route. My dream is they integrate Qobuz too, in which case I need never look at Air again. So much for the idea of moving all the other hifi gear out of the lounge and having a single sleek box connected only by Ethernet.

As a side note I've also gone right off Audirvana, which was previously my player of choice before exploring other things that played more friendly with Air (time well spent). To my ears, it creates an increasesed clarity by emphasising treble and reducing bass. Subtle but having used it for a while and historically felt the bass in my system lacking, I now put a lot of that down to Audirvana. Straight iTunes and Air sound more natural and less 'shrill'. I also has a few weird things where Audirvana worked, but then after using air nothing would come through the USB. Still now I'm not sure what fixed it - seems to take several reboots, deselecting the output, and messing about with the midi setup. Then it pops back to life again. I guess it does things Air doesn't like and vice-versa.

Sorry you are having problems with Air. I am not sure how robust an Air, or any other wireless streaming music system, network needs to be for 24/192 streaming.
Have you done much experimenting with your network?
I and most other users have trouble free Air connections, but I had to make sure I had a good robust network before I did.

Getting rid of Android devices (which have lots of network activity without asking as a default), changing my router to use a fixed channel no other network round here is using and having a good quality wifi access point with strong signal all helped.

I can no longer use Air completely wirelessly since the signal strength at the Devialet is suddenly too low to register (I suspect maybe a fault has developed) but Air-ETH works flawlessly on all my files up to 24/192 now, and has done for 3 years or so.

OTOH I know one person who has done everything imaginable to have a robust network, including the things that worked for me, and still has problems.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
Air (OS X) Problem, what problem? - by no32 - 23-Jul-2015, 23:32
RE: Air (OS X) Problem, what problem? - by f1eng - 10-Aug-2015, 10:46