Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What were your previous systems (prior to the Phantoms)?
(21-Jul-2015, 10:46)Chillin Wrote:
(20-Jul-2015, 08:57)nugat Wrote:
(19-Jul-2015, 20:59)Chillin Wrote: Will you keep them along your current setup, in the same room?
Would you recommend them for jazz/classics?
My current setup in the listening room is AirTight tube amp and Dali Grands and that's the sound I like.
I'd like to get  a similar sound quality in the living room room, which needs the least obtrusive equipment 
configuration, so am considering various options.
I am worried a bit about the low level sound though.
TIA for your advice.

No. They will replace my current system. I definitely recommend them for Jazz.

Some examples I consider to be very good examples of what the speakers are capable of:

- Getz & Jobim Girl from Ipanema. The voices as well as the sax are wonderfully reproduced. The moment when Gilberto starts to sing about 3m to the right of the right speaker is pure magic ;-)

- Oscar Peterson, we got request. Song: You look good to me. Wonderful bass. Piano with reduced distortion copared to my old system. Very good soundstage and extremely 'groovie' presentation.

- Billie Holiday, Songs for distingued lovers ( or similar ) - Song Day in Day out. One of the best songs ever. Phantoms create a great soundstage. The voice is brilliant

I definitely can recommend them for Jazz.

But they definitely will sound different than you Dali's. Dali's are convetional multi chassis systems while Phantoms are Coax systems. Phantoms's soundstage will be much better. They are extremely fast. Much faster than the Dalis. It could be that their dynamics are too much you if you are used to the Grands.

As already stated I don't really care about low level sound. I never had a system that really was performing very good at low levels and Phantom isn't an exception. If you have to listen at low volumes due to neighborhood you better go for a very good headphone.

Wow, so if Phantoms have great bass, and voices/singing sounds great... then I don't know how a pair can be a bad investment...

I don't listen to Jazz, though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What were your previous systems (prior to the Phantoms)? - by Dvlt PhD - 21-Jul-2015, 17:22