Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PCM v DSD, free test track
(31-Jul-2015, 02:17)miro Wrote:
(27-Jul-2015, 13:08)GuillaumeB Wrote: We are often told that the differences between PCM and DSD are more to do with the quality of the source material rather than the format itself. With this in mind I thought it would be interested to compare an audiophile track that was recorded in both PCM and DSD simultaneously. The test track, Tony Overwater & Bert van den Brink's "Impromptu" was recorded live directly to DSD using the Tascam DA-3000 DSD recorder and simultaneously to PCM with the RME UFX.

You can find the test track here:

http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/idac2-sp...d-liaison/

The coupon code is ifimicroidac2

Which version do you prefer? 

Guillaume

Using for comparison the song Improptu, which was recorded in both DSD and PCM,
I find that the WAV file (from the live PCM recording) has more energy, vibrance and details in it,
compared with the live DSD recording, which is very clinical, and lacks the detail and energy.

Also, the mixing seems to be different, as the DSD recording gives more weight to the piano.

The flac file, which I guess was derived from the wav file, is inferior to the wav, and I think that
I would rank it third.
[Image: tony-bert-300v1.jpg]I  think that probably the DSD recording has no editing while the WAV recording has had the advantage of at a later time being taken care off, adjusting levels, and equalisation.
I have bought the Waw, very very impressive sound quality.

Messages In This Thread
PCM v DSD, free test track - by GuillaumeB - 27-Jul-2015, 13:08
RE: PCM v DSD, free test track - by octaviars - 27-Jul-2015, 21:38
RE: PCM v DSD, free test track - by Pim - 28-Jul-2015, 04:41
RE: PCM v DSD, free test track - by GuillaumeB - 28-Jul-2015, 10:12
RE: PCM v DSD, free test track - by miro - 31-Jul-2015, 02:17
RE: PCM v DSD, free test track - by GuillaumeB - 31-Jul-2015, 10:22
RE: PCM v DSD, free test track - by miro - 31-Jul-2015, 11:00
RE: PCM v DSD, free test track - by Kirsten - 14-Nov-2016, 20:08