Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What delights me about my Devialet
Bravo For Balance!

I have only a D120, which I purchased in February this year. I first heard the Devialet in Sept of 2014, and was immediately struck with the clarity of the sound, the complete presentation of notes, with the micro dynamics and the expression of subtle tonal changes. It took me six months to work up the nerve, and funds, to make the purchase. I have not regretted it for one moment.

I was using a Naim UnitiQute (an all-in-one, sim. to the Dev in general utility) and I was on the path of upgrading to a Naim SuperUniti. After hearing the Devialet, I simply could not continue with the Naim, as much as I had loved, and stoutly defended it for the past 10 years.

I have done nothing to my Devialet except upgrade the firmware to 7.1.1 the day I brought it home, and try a few 'inappropriate' SAM profiles in the following weeks. I am delighted with the sound, and I stream 16/44 at best most of the time. It still sounds incredible.

Just to cross-pollinate from the 'irritations' thread (the companion thread, if you will) I think the remote is a gem. No other remote I've ever seen had a display (but the unit always did) and many other remotes had so many single purpose buttons it took high powered reading glasses to see the text, and 10 minutes of fussing to figure out what the proper sequence of button pushes needed to be to make something happen. I can find no fault with the Dev. remote, except that its design invites speculation and desire about things that no other remote does anyway.

The firmware updates via SD card is totally reasonable. I'll direct everyone here who doesn't like the SD card system to visit the Naim forum. Spend some quality time (and it will run into hours) perusing the multiple threads about buying special cables, sometimes having to track down a windows PC, then download the firmware update, the instructions, the special drivers to get the PC to talk to the Naim.... on and on. Then, read the 'Naim bricked' reports. Or the 'upgrade failed, how do I recover control of my unit' threads. Or the very numerous threads on connectivity problems. And there was no going back to earlier versions if the sound quality degraded, some feature was disabled (or enabled), or the connectivity was impaired.The Devialet is brilliant.

Dev. AIR clearly has some functionality that needs improving, but for me, the absence of UPnP is a benefit beyond belief. For three years, we always started up the Qute, and wondered if it would connect. I've never had a single connection issue with the Devialet.

I didn't buy the Devialet for the chrome finish, or on any understanding of the technology, or as a 'lifestyle' product; only for the sound it makes. I am in the 'turned it on, and it worked' camp. It does that every day, for my entire family. And delivers sound that still captivates and surprises me. I could use any number of speakers and enjoy the music. Sometimes I still swap speakers for fun. But the Devialet stays. 

I spend my time on the 'What Album Are You Listening To Tonight' thread, rather than the 'how do I make it go' categories. Beautiful design, beautiful sound, fuss free listening. 

Pinot Noir all around!
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: What delights me about my Devialet - by Damon - 28-Jul-2015, 21:59