Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selecting Equalisation Curves using RAM
(08-Aug-2015, 16:36)f1eng Wrote: I think all records pressed since the mid '60s have had standard RIAA correction. A wide choice of correction curves is really only of value for vintage record collectors, apart from interest value and subtly changing the frequency response of more modern records - which may or may not sound nicer, depending on system and preference.

I have been doing a little more research on this, and it looks like you are absolutely correct, the RIAA curve has been more or less 100% standard from the early 60's.

The records for which I found RAM to make a positive improvement were a couple of RCA record label recordings from the early 70's.  Armed with my new "expectation bias" knowledge that anything recorded in 1974 would definitely be made with RIAA, and any improvement I was hearing was bogus, I tried again.  Oddly enough I reached the same conclusion, that there was an improvement with the RCA curve.  I guess this is probably just a happy coincidence, although I note that the RIAA curve was originally based on the RCA curve, so they are probably close enough for things to sound reasonably ok.

So in conclusion, RAM is a fairly niche feature, I am assuming there are not too many people wanting to play pre-1960's vinyl.  Although for those who do, having RAM is a massive bonus.

One thing on my "to do" list (although a very long way down currently) is to mod my old Rega Planner 25 TT to play 78's, as I do have a small collection of 78's that I have inherited.  A strange thought that a 21st century digital amp is actually the ideal product to play a few 80 year old records.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Selecting Equalisation Curves using RAM - by Confused - 09-Aug-2015, 15:37