Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermal Pads...
By my testing this pad is exactly 20X more thermally efficient than the blue pad its replacing. That differential between 'advertised/actual' numbers could be related to 3 distinct possibilities:

1. Blue pad is actually only .85 W/mk efficient instead of .9 to 1.0 W/mk advertised rating
2. Ice Cap pad is actually 17.1xx efficient instead of 17 W/mk advertised
3. My measuring tools and procedures are diningroom based rather than a controlled environment

Either way at the very small measured differences between actual/advertised numbers I'm picking black pepper out of fly poop. The new stuff is dramatically better and that's what matters.

After pondering the thermally conductive media in the new pad last evening it dawned on me just before falling asleep that silver or aluminum isn't a possibility as both are electrically conductive. That dog can't hunt in the Devialet for obvious reasons. I've relegated finding out thermal conductivity media to the analogy of a dog chasing a car. What would I do with it if I caught it!?! Knowing only satisfies a curiosity but offers nothing that's modification enhancing in any way to the project. I'm still curious but like the toys of my youth need to put it away and get on with things.

As to the weight of these pads 1.5mmT X 100mm X 100mm: 71.5 grams. T6061 aluminum plate same dimension; 60 grams. They are a hefty lot!

Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 10-Aug-2015, 17:57
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Pim - 11-Aug-2015, 11:21
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 11-Aug-2015, 14:56
RE: Thermal Pads... - by warpeon - 11-Aug-2015, 15:17
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 12-Aug-2015, 15:38
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 14-Aug-2015, 14:53
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 15-Aug-2015, 01:14
RE: Thermal Pads... - by Manoet - 15-Aug-2015, 18:08