Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PEM's affect on things...
The Power Entry Modules found in our Devialets are found in many devices today. And primarily for reasons that protect the manufacturer and reduce warranty & repair costs. They offer some measure of internal EMI filtration while contaminating outside the unit with additional EMI that goes untreated. You should trust that they have a significant role in contributing coloration to what you're hearing SQ-wise. And if you haven't heard the Devialet sans one of them you're in the impossible position of agreeing or denying it. You simply cannot know! I never heard it either... til it went missing on many, many components over the years. That's when I had an "so your not as innocuous as you would have me believe" moment. I've yet to find a power component, like an amp, that didn't respond favorably to a PEMectomy! You can simply have no idea whatsoever what the PEM is adding until it's gone... sad but ture!

I've never been in a big rush to remove these things from source components tho I'm careful about using other filters with them as their effects are cumulative. And given time, if I like a specific source component I will lose the internal PEM in favor of a simple, albeit high quality replacement IEC terminal in time.

Most high-end/high-power amplifiers won't be caught dead with an onboard PEM! And there's a VERY good reason for that! While they do little to affect a high-end power cords shielding, harmonics and positive SQ attributes, they choke the crap out of it's speed and response times! Make amps slow to respond to fast-changing transitional demands when high power is called for mui pronto! That last little 30mm from PEM inlet-to-outlet has about the same current handling ability as 16ga AWG OFC pure copper wiring. My 2M 9ga high-current power cord measures "0" Ohms from wall receptacle pin to IEC female socket. The Devialet PEM measures 3.5 Ohms in 28mm! So yes, you're hearing the improvement the new power cord promised except in response times. The cord can NEVER over-power or outrun the choke resistance in the PEM! And while I haven't confirmed the same things occurs with DPM on I'm reasonably certain its occurring there as well. There's a very real reason I can't like DPM and I've felt since day-one that the PEM/DPM were a direct and/or aggravating cause. PEM without DPM was tolerable. With DPM on I can't stand it. Its subtle to be sure but it grates on me that much of the speed is missing when DPM is used and I'm reasonably convinced some of it will disappear with the PEM. Nothing I can do about DPM except not use it. But the PEM won't be rejoining the Devialet for the trip home.

People running additional line filters, conditioners and re-conditioners are also risking an even greater hit. PEMs were never designed to be used with any other 'pre-filter'... line voltage only. And results can be nil, moderate or intolerable when combined. No one here would be the first to swap out an existing line conditioner for one they like better only to discover the original one was perfect but simply incompatible with the PEM being used. My approach is simpler, ie; high-end line components and passive line conditioning. Nothing to fail, heat up, create noise or go buzz in the night and blindingly FAST current response times!

I find no fault with how anyone else does things but wanted to explain to those who have asked why I dislike PEM's so vehemently as I've stated in a couple posts.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 12-Aug-2015, 23:51
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 13-Aug-2015, 00:02
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 13-Aug-2015, 05:31
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Mikeeo - 13-Aug-2015, 07:46
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 13-Aug-2015, 23:00
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Mikeeo - 14-Aug-2015, 07:21
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 13-Aug-2015, 23:43
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 14-Aug-2015, 00:06
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 14-Aug-2015, 00:18
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 14-Aug-2015, 00:32
RE: PEM's affect on things... - by Manoet - 14-Aug-2015, 05:33