Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New volume, different low freq cutoff?
This could lead to a very interesting thread.
According to enquiries of some forum members Devialet answered to them that they changed the scale of the volume (indeed instead of degressive volume curve we have now a progressive curve) i.e. low volumes span now from 0-45 or so an higher volumes from 45-70, above loudness increases little. Whereas before low volume was 0-20 and highe volumes were 20-70. But Devialet said they did not change the frequency response compared to before. Many are doubting this and think there was more bass at lower volumes than now. Others again say nothing has changed in frequency response. I'm undecided right now in my opinion. I have the same feeling as Chillin and what also Rodrat2 and others expressed that the 'loudness' effect from previous firmware, i.e. volume depending compensation of frequency response (implementation of equal loudness curves referred to as "Fletcher-Munson" curves) has been reversed. Some like it, some not. However, in my measurements done (with REW and UMIK-1) inconsistently and not for many different volumes I could not observe such implementation of Devialet. In fact, after getting used to the new volume scheme I tend to hear same charateristics in the Phantoms as before for volumes between 25-40 (before 8-20), however at higher volumes 55-65 adjustment now is very difficult as the volume progression is very steep, for me too steep. does anyone have consitant frequency response measurements?
It would be nice when Devialet would show such measurements and even nicer when they would give us a choice of selecting between different volume curves and volume dependent 'loudness' curves, if ever implemented. At the moment we are kept in the dark, have with the Phantoms and Dialog a system that would be capable to provide such variations, but we are fully dependent on Devialet's mercy not to transform our appreciated sound from the Phantoms to whatever hip or flopp sound they basically can impose on us with any next firmware. So far no choice to downgrade the firmware or even to keep a specific firmware not updated as Spark will nag with an update reminder screen whenever a new firmware is ready to be updated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New volume, different low freq cutoff? - by streamy - 14-Sep-2015, 23:54