Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hint of cloisonné...
Its incredibly easy Rufus... just tear 10-12 pages out of a phone book then tear them in half again and leave them all stacked together and wrap around a small flat block of wood or 'anything' flat then paint a little lacquer thinner or acetone on them making sure its soaked in thru several pages but not soaking wet or dripping. Then carefully wipe across the painted surface lightly & evenly. As one page of paper loads with paint, remove it and keep going with the next page under it till no more paint appears on the pages or on the surrounding area of the Dev top. Reapply solvent as needed if the pages dry out. Repeat until paint is flush/level with top surface. In my case 6 coats will likely be required. You cannot apply too many as the solvent wipes will continue to cut it flush with top height.Then bake it once more after paint reaches desired thickness and excess is wiped off and its done! The final layer of solvent-wipe allows just enough solvent to remain behind and flow over the paint creating a nice gloss, sealed finish akin to clear coat that gives the paint a polish on top. Totally easy since anodizing is impervious to solvents there's no worries about affecting it in any way.

When done it appears totally professionally done as you'll see in an hour or so when I'm finished with this phase.

In hindsight I should also add that due to the satin finish I applied with the soda blasting the anodizing has the perfect 'tooth' to hold the paint aggressively in place. If I'd tried this on top of chrome without being able to rough the relief letters inside that'd likely loosen, separate from their individual 'letter-molds' and fall out at some point due to repeated expansion/contraction of the top as it cycles thru repeated hot/cold transitions.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
A hint of cloisonné... - by Manoet - 14-Sep-2015, 15:23
RE: A hint of cloisonné... - by Rufus McDufus - 14-Sep-2015, 16:00
RE: A hint of cloisonné... - by Manoet - 14-Sep-2015, 16:28
RE: A hint of cloisonné... - by Manoet - 14-Sep-2015, 17:36
RE: A hint of cloisonné... - by brit - 14-Sep-2015, 18:23
RE: A hint of cloisonné... - by kenreau - 15-Sep-2015, 16:47
RE: A hint of cloisonné... - by moreno1973 - 17-Sep-2015, 08:56
RE: A hint of cloisonné... - by Manoet - 15-Sep-2015, 18:46
RE: A hint of cloisonné... - by kenreau - 17-Sep-2015, 17:52