Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Remote is so dumb that it is dangerous.
At Devialetchat, we're all audio savvy enough to probably agree that :
- Phantom is an impressive acoustic and audio hardware achievement
- Everything that is related to User Experience is rather weak ( Setup, Spark, no Airplay, poor communication with users ... )
- The constant bragging of Devialet about how good they are could positively be replaced by more listening to users, and considering seriously real life use cases.

I already wrote in this article how much I felt Devialet was ignoring UX, and at the time, I thought this could only improve. But receiving the Remote a few days ago proved I was wrong, it could get worse... By a lot.

Being in pro audio for 35 years I used many audio level controls in my life. Although they sometimes look a bit different, they normaly share in common to be:
- a rotary control (except faders), where turning clockwise increases volume
- have some graphic indication of level (numbers, dots, LEDs ...)

There is a good reason for this graphic scale to be present: it allows the user - at a glance - to know the current volume setting before actually playing audio through a system.
Anyone controling a powerfull speaker system - in P.A. or studio - knows that you definitely prefer to use your eyes than your ears to find out that the audio volume is way to high.

[Image: Pot_01.JPG][Image: Pot_02.jpg][Image: Pot_03.JPG]

So here's what happened to me saturday:
- I was playing music - through optical input - around level 40 with the Remote being paired
- At some point I paused music to place a phone call
- A bit later I decided to play music again and it was crazy loud
- Phantom level was at 100 because someone in the family fiddled with the attractive Remote while the music was stopped ...
- How could I know that ???

The Remote is now removed from my system for obvious safety reasons.

So here is a new award to the Devialet team: they created the stupidest volume control in the history of audio. The one that says to the user of a 3000 W 105 dB system: "guess what the volume is ?".
[Image: Remote.jpg]
Can you imagine that this was put to market instead of the initial project which was providing the level info to the user ?
[Image: Remote_old.jpg]
How can this happen ? Probably driven by the urge to sell, reduce development time and costs, someone said: " do we really need the display on this remote? ". And everyone agreed it was a very good idea to remove it, and that the price could even stay the same!

In that meeting I can tell you that no one was representing the user.

I'll leave the conclusion to Steve Jobs who said in 1997 at WWDC:

"You've got to start with the customer experience and work back to the technology — not the other way around. I've probably made this mistake more than anybody, and I've got the scar tissue to prove it,"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iACK-LNnzM starts at 52:00:00

One more thing ...  Smile
A quick and dirty software fix would be to disable the Remote volume change when no audio is played.

PH

Messages In This Thread
Phantom Remote is so dumb that it is dangerous. - by Phs - 15-Sep-2015, 16:18