Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Remote is so dumb that it is dangerous.
I have an 'old' Devialet D Premier (bought in 2011), I mounted it on the wall and I can see the volume setting on the unit itself but not on the original remote control.

I decided not to upgrade a couple of years later to whatever the next model was for about £3K. Aside from the fact that I'd shelled out £11K for it a couple of years before, I wasn't too keen on upgrading because of poor UX, particularly with the firmware. I remember I had to install the wifi module myself as an upgrade (free) and then wait for about 6 months until HD streaming was possible. Even then it didn't really work very well and there were a barrage of complaints.

As a consequence of not upgrading I now miss out on some tech upgrades like SAM for example. It also means if I bought a Phantom, I can't link it to the D Premier in any way. Until I found this out I was quite interested.

I agree with Felix's comments above. I would add that Devialet try so hard to be like Apple but sometimes forget the basics. I bought one of the original iPads and even though I've bought many more since and there are no further software upgrades it still talks to my other Apple devices.

Even if the Phantom did link to my D Premier I don't think I would buy one now. I don't want to be saddled with months of frustrating 1st generation problems I've experienced with Devialet before and seem to be widely reported on the forum.

I'm happy with my D Premier's sound as it is, but they may have lost me as a future customer with their over-ambitious, tech driven, planned obsolescence strategy.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom Remote is so dumb that it is dangerous. - by Richard - 22-Sep-2015, 18:57