Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horizontal testing
Today's testing finished on a high note which bodes well since this is the last regularly scheduled update. I found the secret handshake between the D200 and laptop cooling fan. In retrospect the additional CFM of the 20mm larger fan didn't hurt but the biggest cooling increase absolutely came about as reversing the fan direction and pulling air into the Devialet convection air outlets rather than pushing air into the Devialet via the belly pan inspection ports. My guess is cooling efficiency is increased via pulling cool air in over the hottest components first before that air path passes over cooler components near the center-mass of the Devialet on out thru the belly pan rather than the opposite dynamic. Additionally by reversing fan direction allowed the unit to get to its temperature dramatically faster. From 45C to 30C takes all of 8-9 minutes and once there it never waivers. From a 12 hour power down its up from ambient room temp in just at 12 minutes. Of course it doesn't have far to go since todays temps were glued at 26C all day A,D & S! In fact my GUI temps thru-out testing have been showing the A&D boards lagging behind PSU temps by a degree or two. Once I hit 28/29C all three become locked together & identical. Still no decrease in SQ associated by lower temps and if I had to say it I think they're the best yet. I'm not happy about that as it puts me in the perceived shadow of crazy men but there it is! I wish I'd never heard about lower temps and SQ! Of course even when I had heard of the phenomenon I ignored it till I was knocked upside the head BY it! Now I can't unring the bell. Long as I keep this active cooling system going on my desktop I don't even need the Devialet's GUI. If I wanna know Devialet's A/D/S internal temps today all I have to do is look at my Nest wall thermostat which I can read from across the room without budging an inch! A quality smart thermostat should give room temp as well as Devialet A/D/S temps... and it does!!!

But in a few days I'll get back to passive cooling via wall-mount. I just hope I can live with associated 30C temp SQ and haven't spoiled myself cuz I don't want to tear into walls building a combination Devialet vertical cooling/wall-mount setup to hang this bad boy from. That's the down-side to experimenting & testing... tempt not/want not!

**UPDATE** Spent another day trying to get temps below 26C across the A/D/C sensor with no luck. Finally dawned on me. Of course I can't! The room is 25.55C! How could I possibly get Devialet internal temps lower than 26C by pushing/pulling 25.55C ambient air!?! Sometimes I can be so dense! Sheesh I shoulda been all over this yesterday! Especially after going on about how my Nest thermostat now matches Dev A/D/S. Well of course it does... it HAS to! And small wonder the A/D temps started paralleling/matching the Supply temp instead of the A/D temps lagging behind a degree or two like they do at slightly higher temps. I could easily lower temps in the Devialet at this point to cooler than existing ambient temps. I would just have to lower the thermostat (slaps forehead) DOH!

A little humiliated/embarrassed I put the Dev back on the wall this afternoon and thought about not telling. But we've come too far to hide my humanness at this point... flaws & all!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 03-Oct-2015, 00:35
Horizontal testing - by hk6230 - 03-Oct-2015, 03:14
RE: Horizontal testing - by Axel - 03-Oct-2015, 17:58
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 03-Oct-2015, 19:05
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 03-Oct-2015, 23:22
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 05-Oct-2015, 19:28
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 06-Oct-2015, 01:05
RE: Horizontal testing - by rwjr44 - 06-Oct-2015, 01:52
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 06-Oct-2015, 02:26
RE: Horizontal testing - by Manoet - 06-Oct-2015, 23:58