Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog native ip and admin login
(08-Oct-2015, 20:27)karebe Wrote: [...]
You are right Devialet misses the advantage of the open software world and of the community. Like many other companies Devialet protects its software.
[...]
Dialog and Spark are embedded systems. Maybe there is a maintenance back door somewhere.
[...]

You know, there is a kind of antinomy between being plug and play and being open source. The same kind of difference you can get between iOS and Linux. I don't think they serve the same targets, and I can understand why a company who wants to be able to guaranty a quality of experience as well as to minimize its support cost cannot really offer to keep its kimono opened and allow anyone to fiddle with the product.

I think we need to understand that Devialet has great ambitions in terms of number of phantoms sold, and any risk increase the number of support calls probably translates quite sharply from a financial perspective.

The real problem is never the really technical people who know what they do when they fiddle with the technology and also take their responsibility. The problem is that inevitably you end up have people trying without the required competencies and those people would end up knocking at the door of support.

Concerning the backdoor, I do hope that there is none because any backdoor is a security vulnerability. I hope there is a properly protected (with proper cryptography and key certificates) access allowing proper maintenance. I know that this is how I would architect such a product, which would mean that no-one could use that access without a valid certificate of the company delivering the product.

Best regards,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

Messages In This Thread
Dialog native ip and admin login - by ondastar - 07-Oct-2015, 17:13