Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2-3 week inspection & PSU temp comparison
    All planned heat testing is concluded. I'll post that info when time permits. I immediately jumped into the next round of modifications this morning which includes making my Devialet wall-mount less restrictive to convection inlet airflow as well as the massive thermal transfer pad between the digital board and belly pan more efficient with regards to radiant cooling. The Devialet wall-mount besides being over-priced even after the price reduction of a few months back is still a POS! Sorry but no other way to say it. It showed up here with 2 mounting screws stripped which had to be repaired. No way I was sending it back as it took 2 months to get originally! And on my latest dis-mount for more testing I found another mounting screw had fallen off sometime. Sure I R&R this thing from the wall often but no way it should be stripping & shedding mounting screws at this rate. I know its frailties and am always careful. My guess is this one was stripped at the same time as the originals but since it wasn't lying loose in the original plastic bag like the others I presumed it was good. Bad assumption! These things should be able to stand up to thousands of R&R's rather than a dozen or so. While I was repairing the latest one I also prophylactically went ahead and did the 4th one.

The OEM wall-mount was never intended for convection cooling so I'm pointing no fingers of accusation at Devialet for any responsibility on this one. But if you look at the pic you can see the acrylic mount has three vertical rows of 52mm hexagon cut-outs. And as luck would have it (Grrr) the observation inlet ports in the Devialet belly pan fall squarely between the hex dividers on both hex's outside edges in the center row. Couldn't be more restrictive to those convection inlets in my case if they'd planned it!! I'm sure they also affect the radiant area of the large internal thermal pad between those two ports as well. I mean there's a tad over 5mm there for air to squeeze thru but why limit myself cooling-wise when you consider I can make that gap over 3 times that to an area that's 15.875mm X 160mm X full width of the Devialet? And here's the kicker; I can do it without raising the Devialet off the wall even a hair's breadth... none, nada, zero, zilch... bupkus! To me and my pursuit where everything's a compromise that's a MASSIVE freebie. And I'll greedily snarf it up!

No idea if it'll net me even a single degree of cooler temps. Don't much care. It'll help convection and radiant cooling and that's good enough for today. And it opens the door to perhaps CNCing an additional convection cooling inlet or two in the belly pan down the road. Those that made their own DIY wall-mounts using single pads at each corner netted even more cooling air if pads are 10mm or thicker. A project I may well find myself taking on down the road.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2-3 week inspection & PSU temp comparison - by Manoet - 17-Oct-2015, 20:05