Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digitizing Vinyl with your Devialet 120/200/250/400/800
(17-Aug-2014, 09:43)thumb5 Wrote:
(16-Aug-2014, 23:30)marcor Wrote: I did some tests using audacity. Just to figure out input and levels following the discussion on the other thread.
This is the plot of 7 seconds of Touch Me from The Doors' The Soft Parade. Second press, red label.
Full of informations up almost to 95000 Hz. now that curve on a cd ends at 22k ...

Excuse me for being sceptical, but this graph doesn't convince me that there is any useful information from the recording process in the range 20-95 kHz. Frank (f1eng) knows infinitely more about this than I, but I doubt when that recording was made that the recording chain would be capable of capturing information above ~20 kHz, never mind encoding it accurately onto vinyl… On the other hand I can understand how there could be noise and distortion in this frequency range.

Still, it comes down to whether you like what you hear, and in that sense what the graph shows doesn't really matter in the slightest. Smile

Well I am not an expert. Probably there is a noise component for sure and perhaps the sound information is only up to the 48k as Frank says and the rest is noise. I am limiting myself in showing what I got from my dabbling.
Regarding the ability of a vinyl of having more range than a cd I would think is a known fact. The nowadays hires music a lot of time is the result of new digital aquisition of old analog recording and the spectrogram are very similar to the one I posted. I found the thing interesting.
To my hear the difference between cd and vinyl is quite clear. I had friends doubting it and so far when I had them to listen the same recording in the 2 formats they were able to discern the differences.

cheers

M

Messages In This Thread
RE: Digitizing Vinyl with your Devialet 120/200/250/400/800 - by marcor - 17-Aug-2014, 09:59