Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest update neutered my Phantoms
One thing puzzles me:
Even if the spherical shape of Phantom helps spreading the sound throughout the room with low directivity, how can we expect playing an originally stereo program with only one speaker clearly playing mono, without any affected tonal balance (among other parameters) during the stereo -> mono conversion? I just doesn't make sense to me.

I do understand that a single unit can be a good compromise if we love the sound of Phantom, but it also means accepting the tricky downconversion to mono.
Maybe it's precisely what could have changed in the new firmware, since this operation is a compromise that cannot even tend to any kind of perfection, unlike an amplified speaker reproducing a given audio channel.
To my understanding, even the original sound engineer would have hard time duplicating the tonal balance into a mono version of the recording. So trying to do so from the stereo mix, without any clue of phase mapping of the different recorded sources, sounds definitely impossible, and cannot lead to any equally satisfying result for all recordings: it will highly depend on the choices made to create the stereo, which can be very different, and can hardly be guessed and reverted.

What do you think?

Is there anyone running *two* Phantoms still disappointed with the new firmware, once used to the new volume log scale?

Anyway, the confusion / comparison between single & dual Phantom systems also demonstrates that the mono conversion is working well beyond what I thought that could be achieved...

Messages In This Thread
Latest update neutered my Phantoms - by sleach - 07-Nov-2015, 22:55
Latest update neutered my Phantoms - by msg - 08-Nov-2015, 15:47
RE: Latest update neutered my Phantoms - by Pleyel - 20-Nov-2015, 14:32