Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question of transparency - Help or Harm?
Note: My goal with this specific thread is constructive and not destructive. I am truly rooting for Devialet to succeed.  

I would love to get a sense of what those of us who own Devialet products feel.    Love to your comments - whether agree or not. 

I would like to hear whether you think that Devialet should be more transparent/forthright regarding customers' concerns such as those who post here at Devialetchat.  By being forthright, interacting with customers' public postings and include dialoguing on some bugs that they are may not have fixed yet - but are working on. 

Here the key question:  Would being more transparent HARM or HELP Devialet?  

1. At first blush, I thought Devialet amps were simply overpriced 'artsy' looking amps but noticed that reviews were on the whole pretty amazing.   As I encountered my first Devialet product in the Phantoms, I came to be increasingly to the conclusion that Devialet are really technology visionaries, excessive claims notwithstanding. (i.e. "Best Speaker Period")

2. However, there are also a lot of problems as noted by a number of threads where the conception is wonderful but the execution is problematic.  I myself spend many hours trying to get the Phantom to work fully. 

3. I realized that some of my time investment would not have been necessary if Devialet were more responsive and more forthright in some of the things I would need to get the system up and running.  In effect, the devialetchat community became my tech support - but imperfectly in part because we are not the manufacturers and do not have inside information.  This came to a head when I was told some things that I needed when I called up tech support - and yet it was not publicly documented. They could have done that easily.   I really felt unhappy about having to take more time to resolve issues than really necessary. 

4. I ended up having a sense that Devialet is more insular than necessary. It is possible that there is an image to maintain - a cutting edge, paradigm shifting, aesthetically superior company that has it all together.   In other words, striving for something of the likes of Apple.   Or perhaps even more in that it's a brand with high cache - and provides luxury that performs. 

The reality is that some of that image is probably apt but they do not have it all together.  One challenge may be that they are really pushing the bleeding edge.  Their vision and ambition are remarkable but may stretch their resources beyond their capacity to troubleshoot since they do not have resources of a company with multi-billion in the bank.

5.  So my thought is that Devialet should be more transparent which includes, for example: 
a. Having a representative participate, at least occasionally, in this forum to respond. 
b. Acknowledge specific problems that the public already raised up. 
c. And have better communication from their tech support. 

I note that some companies like Apple is incredibly secretive and maintain an absolute monolithic control of what information is provided to the public.  Apple has enough clout and resource to do that.  But even Apple publicly acknowledge some things that need to be fixed.  Other companies are very open and have forums that their representative participates in to solve issues, AND includes the user/client base to help them to troubleshoot.  I think these tend to be smaller companies that really do depend on a supportive consumer based. 

Question - IF Devialet were to be significantly more transparent and participate in forums such as Devialetchat, and actually share what they are working on, what some challenges are, and enlist forum members to help answer questions, would it actually HARM or HELP the Devialet enterprise as a whole?  

Is it worth giving up some of the illusion of having it all together (if that is one of the desires) in order to have its user base feel that the company is transparent and listens to its user base?  Or do you feel that Devialet already does so? 

Love to hear some thoughts.  I really am rooting for the company to succeed wildly beyond their imagination.

Messages In This Thread
Question of transparency - Help or Harm? - by MountainGuy - 05-Dec-2015, 06:52