Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The impossibility of sound quality difference whatever the medium
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with all of you who think that using different optical cables/wifi can or does make any difference to the sound quality of the Phantom or any other device.

The cables work or they don't. You'll know if they don't. The same with wifi.

It's the same bits. They either get transmitted or they don't. It doesn't matter how much you paid for the cables or router, or what manufacturer's badge they have on them. If the bits arrive ok, the medium works; if they don't, it won't.

It really is that simple, has been tested blind, double blind and is blindingly obvious if you think about it for a moment.

If bits were different when transmitted my different cables then the internet wouldn't work and you would not be reading this.

That said, I do have sympathy with those that claim to hear such differences. All of our senses are subject to an awful lot of processing and guesswork by the brain. That is imperfect (because to be otherwise the sense organs would have to be significantly altered and the brain significantly larger and therefore consume much more energy than it already does). So the brain, dear of it, has to make lots of stuff up. So it looks at logos, price tags and all sorts of other things when coming to the conclusions that it feeds you (not that you are other than it!). So I can be fooled, just like the rest. And have been, and will continue so to be.

Until I apply a little science and thought and buy the cheapest that works. Then I feel like I've actually engaged with the universe and how it actually works rather than just imagining it to be how I want it to be.

But that, maybe, is just me. I hope not, though.

Cheers!

Messages In This Thread
The impossibility of sound quality difference whatever the medium - by Gremlin - 05-Dec-2015, 07:16