Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 with Focal Scala Utopia?
I had a very enjoyable time listening to a friend's top of the range Naim system (CD555 and NDS, 552, 500) driving Focal Utopia 3 Scala V2s last week. We ran through a wide range of music: Jill Scott, India Arie, Bebo Valdes, Julie London, Maceo Parker, Seasick Steve, Bonnie Prince Billy, Black Keys, Keb' Mo', etc etc and the sound was really very good. Clean, extended, punchy bass, very open and detailed mid range and sparkling treble. The only criticism I could make was a perhaps overly bright top end on a few recordings (flat frequency response setting on the speaker).

We discussed the possibility of trying my 200 in his system and I wondered whether anyone else had tried a Devialet with the Scalas and whether the results were good? My guess is that the combination may be a little 'lean'... Will the 200 be 'embarrassed' in comparison with the Naim streamer and amps which probably cost five or six times as much?

EDIT: I just checked and see that the SAM profile for the Scalas will be available 'soon'. There have been variable reports on the impact of SAM on other large speakers so I'm not sure whether it would be worth waiting for the profile to be released before I try this?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)

Messages In This Thread
Devialet 200 with Focal Scala Utopia? - by PhilP - 17-Aug-2014, 23:07