Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TeddlesDee Confused System
Hi Keith,

FWIW I think you have built a great music server using a lot of parts I myself have used/would have used as well. Smile

The dual PC setup is related to JPlay. It's a mode the JPlay software can run in and in which you have a 'control PC' that controls music playback, runs the GUI software, performs conversions/upsampling if necessary etc. and the 'music PC' which is run in 'hibernate mode' which is a mode in which all and everything is shut down except the things needed to playback the stream sent to it from the control PC. Since networking services on the music PC are also shut down for the most part it's advised to use a separate and direct network link from the control PC to the music PC. Since the control PC needs to remain a part of the network for things like NAS access/remote control etc. they advise a second network interface in the control PC used only for the connection to the music PC. So this dual PC setup is not meant for a single PC+NAS setup but two PC's both running JPlay. Although one could of course also use a NAS in addition to those two PC's.

To provide the highest level of (electrical) isolation some people use fiber optic based networking here. It's not mandatory of course but effective in keeping RFI/EMI interference from the network cables out and preventing another possible ground loop. (I myself have also employed fiber optic networking for additional isolation of the music server which is connected to my D250 using USB).

I use JPlay in a single PC setup but as you seem to like JRiver it's important to know that JRiver has (IMO unethically) sabotaged JRiver to prevent JPlay working with it. JRiver deliberately filters out the JPlay ASIO driver from the list of ASIO drivers you can select in JRiver. There are workarounds available to circumvent this idiotic measure but they require one to use a patched JRiver version and registry hacks that rename the JPlay ASIO driver. You can read all about it on the JPlay forum. Since Jriver did this I detest the company and I'm hoping Roon and other competitors will soon wipe their buggy and obsolete 20th century software from the face of the earth. Big Grin Since they've failed to integrate any and all streaming services I'm quite sure less and less people will keep using the product. The best thing of JRiver for me always was JRemote on an iPad for remote control. It's sound quality is nothing but average.

Seeing and understanding your confusion I think it may help to focus on one thing at a time. Start with a stable basis (single PC with the software and remote control you like) and build/expand from there (like dual PC or HQPlayer NAA, optical networking, USB optimization etc. etc.). It's anything but a 'turn key solution' and there's a steep learning curve but you're infinitely flexible in creating and changing to the exact solution you want/need. It also allows you to stay current in a field that's changing so quickly. This is all impossible/limited using the expensive turn-key solutions companies like Aurender offer.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
TeddlesDee Confused System - by teddlesdee - 08-Jan-2016, 11:12
RE: TeddlesDee Confused System - by Antoine - 08-Jan-2016, 14:22
RE: TeddlesDee Confused System - by tyefighter - 08-Jan-2016, 22:13
RE: TeddlesDee Confused System - by teddlesdee - 10-Jan-2016, 19:59
RE: TeddlesDee Confused System - by Pim - 11-Jan-2016, 06:11
RE: TeddlesDee Confused System - by tyefighter - 11-Jan-2016, 13:22
RE: TeddlesDee Confused System - by yabaVR - 04-Feb-2016, 15:02
RE: TeddlesDee Confused System - by yabaVR - 08-Feb-2016, 13:26