Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to improve my system
Hello All,

I am new on this forum, new owner of a D120 and a pair of Fostex GX250.  I have been interested since ever in musique and Hifi, but I never could make the dream come true. I finally made the big step a few weeks ago. I am delighted by the sound of the Devialet with the Fostex speakers. I am using a stock mac mini as main source with Audirvana+, Ripped CD or HD purchased on Qobuz for 30% of my listening time, and Streaming in Qobuz CD quality for the 70% remaining, discovering new musique from various forums, including now the Devialet chat forum.

I have a few questions for you…

I wanted to try the different connections between the mac and the Devialet. I have hooked the mac with Optical, USB, Ethernet, and I also have wifi available.

1 - I didn’t succeed yet to make the Air connection permanent. I have a fairly robust wifi, I am using a Mac capsule which is located very close to the Devialet. Every time I connect to the Air, it works well, no noise, no quirk. However, when I stop the Mac Mini, it is a pain to reconnect to the air. Did I miss something to make the Air the connection by default on the Mac setting?

2 – I didn’t succeed to connect the Air Ethernet. I probably missed something in the Devialet configurator. Do I need to set a fix IP address? I have an Ethernet cable connection between the router and the Mac Capsule, then another Ethernet cable between the capsule and the Devialet.

3 – Still with the Mac Mini as a source, do you see how to improve the system without spending a fortune making exotic mods on the Mac Mini?

I am wondering if changing the source will make a big step forward in term of SQ. I have read a lot of reviews, including on this forum, and I am interested with the Totaldac D1 server. Most of my listening being on Qobuz, I am not fully enthousiastic with the idea of losing the ease of use of Qobuz with the Mac mini and my TV screen as a display. My dealer for the Devialet and the Fostex was using a Marantz NA 11, SQ was very nice but the Marantz iphone/Ipad interface is a no go for me, plus the fact it will not stream Qobuz.

4 – For those who have experienced the switch from stock Mac mini to streamers such as the D1 Server, can you please comment the SQ improvement that can be achieved ?

5 – I have barely understood that in the case of the D1 server, the Ipad remote app will interface with Qobuz through the D1 Server, but it is the D1 Server that will stream from Qobuz. Did I understand correctly? For those of you using this device and Qobuz, can you please share your experience.

Sorry for this long post, and my “non expert” questions. Thanks for your comments.
Mac Mini / Audirana+ > Van Den Hul USB or Optical (still evaluating) > D120 > Van Den Hul T3 speaker cables > Fostex GX 250

France

Messages In This Thread
How to improve my system - by hesavary - 13-Jan-2016, 23:09
RE: How to improve my system - by Hifi_swlon - 13-Jan-2016, 23:36
RE: How to improve my system - by DelaneyB - 14-Jan-2016, 21:21
RE: How to improve my system - by Pim - 15-Jan-2016, 08:47
RE: How to improve my system - by hesavary - 19-Jan-2016, 17:45
RE: How to improve my system - by DelaneyB - 19-Jan-2016, 18:09