Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers
(13-Feb-2016, 01:30)Wdw Wrote:
(12-Feb-2016, 18:22)jjo Wrote: I see that the UPnP/DLNA or if we're lucky OpenHome support is way more important at this moment than any commercial software specific protocol. But that is just me of course Smile The reason I think so is simply that it is an industry standard and you can find (free) control point software on almost any imaginable platform already. So you could have a streaming system that is usable with anyone owning a smart device as opposed to a streaming service available for those that have a Windows PC or a Mac and choose to leave their computers running 24/7 and pay $119 a year for this luxury.

Also from what I hear, Roon will (soon?) support streaming to Linn streamers, which would mean OpenHome support, which is an extension to DLNA/UPnP. So it would work with Devialet with UPnP-support directly or with a very trivial change.

Anyway, UPnP/DLNA/OpenHome support would make Devialet the one box solution I always hoped it would be. I don't know about the storage space on the Devialet, but basically I could incorporate all the features of Dialog inside Devialet expert range. Now that would be something.

Agree.  Devialet as a one box solution with the further reduction in noise implied by fewer gates/swiitches/power supplies, etc...in the chain.  Am somewhat confused by the almost universal chorus of praise for Roon.  My Aries recently had a fireware update which allows it to be a Roon endpoint but Roon still demands a computer remain in the system as a server.  In my case my music library is on a USB drive directly attached to the Aries and the Aries control by an iPad.  To enjoy what is undoubtedly the great user interface of Roon the music selection would be obligated to travel to the Macbook hosting the Roon server and than back to the Aries...a two way trip and in my case wireless.  Always assumed we were all trying to get PC/laptops out of discreet music systems and not adding control software that made them more necessary.
Perhaps I am missing something...not the most savvy computer guy but passably capable.

Plug the USB drive into the computer running Roon and then it's one way to the Aries.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next Software Updates for Expert Amplifiers - by Dr Tone - 13-Feb-2016, 03:02