Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ?
Hi,
I have finally sold of some of my HiFi gear to be able to buy a pair of silver Phantoms, I have now order them for the 45 day trial so I can do the judging myself.
Have been following Phantoms before they were released even got an early invite to buy from the first produktion batch, but I have not pulled the trigger before now, due to that I am a member of some Audio forums ( Audio Shark, Computer Audiophile, Aktive Hören (DE) .....) and I have to say that even though the Phantoms have been praised by some serious ( hopefully objective) people a lot of the enthusiast have been slamming the Phantoms, some even using the word crap.

I want the Phantoms as I have been into Active speakers for many years ( even though my high-end set was not) as it is great to get rid of all the "boxes and cables", but also to keep things digital all the way and use minimum of components as I run a music blog but as a former Professional Sound Engineer I know what tons of equipment in 19" racks can do to sound quality.

Yes, I 've heard that Devialet have demoed the Phantoms as single unit not in pairs and in environments that have been far from optimal.

My personal guess is that a "One Trick Pony" scares the crap out of the regular HiFi enthusiast as with Phantoms most topics will drop dead as there are no cables, filters, DAC, yada yada to talk about, and sometimes I think that HiFi entusiasts like to tinker with their equipment more than listening to what it actually should be about THE MUSIC.
I listened to +7000 song with 2930 Artist, totaled up to 1100 hours and that on Spotify only ( I know sound quality sucks but it's so convenient and a work tool for me, and I'm way to deep in it so Hi-res material from my NAS is seldomly played TBH )

Love to hear your take on why the HiFi enthusiast ( Including Devialet Expert owners) trash talk the Phantoms ?
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.

Messages In This Thread
Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ? - by McChicken - 18-Feb-2016, 11:25