Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ?
Devialet for some reason does not tick the boxes for many audiophiles. I was guilty of dismissing it when i first heard about the brand as I had been brought up on the philosophy that integrated and power amps had to weigh over 40 kg to sound any good ! Hence twenty years of upgrading resulted in my purchase a couple of years ago of a Krell Evolution 302 power amplifier, coupled with an Esoteric C03X preamplifier I had my dream amplification and £21.5k to boot ! I had a very enjoyable sound very dynamic but there was something missing. I found myself still trawling the internet looking at other options all part of the addiction I suppose.

Anyway I attended a Devialet open day last year at my dealer’s and I’m soooo pleased I did. I heard the two Silver Phantom’s first and was very impressed I was seriously considering selling all my kit for a pair of these. But we then moved into the main listening room where I heard a D200 driving a pair of Wilson Sabrina’s...... Incredible I was lost for words, how could this little 5 kg integrated be creating this amazing transparent dynamic sound. I was done - a couple of weeks later I had sold my cd player preamp and power amp and in came the D400 and a cheaper cd transport. The D400 is less than half the Esoteric / Krell combo but imho in my system there is no comparison. I have much more transparency, dynamics are still there in spades but i have so much more snap and musicality it is hard to describe.

With my profits I was also able to buy a Phantom for my daughter so happy days.

Anyone who dismisses Devialet without listening to them is missing a trick. it may not be to your taste but least hear it first. I’m glad I did.
Devialet D400
Wilson Sasha
Onkyo Cd transport via aes/ebu
Direct Drive Turntable Micro Benz Gold MC Cartridge
2 x Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord
Transparent Super MM2 Speaker Cable

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are HiFi entusiasts negative to Phantoms ? - by egg1dog - 21-Feb-2016, 16:26