Poll: Do you think new expert line will be released this year?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
10.71%
6 10.71%
No
89.29%
50 89.29%
Total 56 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will there be a new expert line anytime soon?
(09-Mar-2016, 18:34)ozthepoz Wrote: It costs millions to develop new systems; the whole point of the expert line is that the EVO platform allows for significant software improvements.

Seems inconceivable to me that they would spent effort designing a new expert range.

It costs millions its true - but modern consumers do tend to buy things on features and DACs especially seem to be going the way of digital cameras and their megapixels. Sure, some will read forums and web reviews etc, and many will get a demo before making a final decision, but advertised features is definitely what brings new customers in these days.

Devialet is quite unique in terms of being a combined system, but looking at the buzzwords and ideas floating around for current gen DACs (and Amps that have DSP built-in), we've got things like; Native DSD128 and higher inputs, internal upsampling to DSD512 or even DSD1024, user selectable sampling filters, room correction, galvanically isolated inputs, different streaming protocols, full control via tablet apps, etc, etc I'm sure there are loads I've missed off. I'm not saying any of that by itself will make for better EQ, but it means buyers looking for those features (for whatever reason) will look elsewhere, and EVO updates will only go so far.

As with any other brand, to be seen to be actively 'top of their game' they do need to evolve the hardware as well as sort out the software side - add some features that the majority of customers want, and clear out all the bugs and things that don't work. I think people follow things like AIR, and see what features Devialet have added over the years by way of 'EVO updates', and if they don't see things being fixed, or Devialet adopting the latest trends, they may worry about how future-proof the all-in-one system is. I know I've definitely thought about it. Also, once something's been out a few years, people start thinking its going to get superseded and may wait for the next iteration anyway.

To my mind the Od'A wasn't really that much of a technological leap from the current Expert series, and seemed like a bit of an intermediate update - OK, there were a few hardware upgrades but it certainly didn't come across as revolutionary compared to the current line. I'm not in that market so can't really say, but Im actually surprised current 800 owners went for it - I know its better, but I would have personally waited for a complete refresh of the line (but then I do rarely upgrade to the next version unless it seems like a proper upgrade - I definitely skip iPhone models). I guess the allure of the 'limited addition' appealed, but I think they're going to have to do a bit more than a colour change and upgrades to a few key components to drag in the next several years worth of buyers.

But maybe not, time will tell…...

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will there be a new expert line anytime soon? - by Hifi_swlon - 09-Mar-2016, 19:27