Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound like a 2:1 not Full Range speakers...IMO
I agree with the OP.  My Phantoms are on stands and I have tried various positionings.  On some recordings (especially modern sub-bass heavy stuff, they sound incredible).  But I think that they lack warmth and fullness when playing well recorded classic rock (it's not an oxymoron, there is some).  Beatles and Neil Young/Buffalo Springfield, Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus, Stones and others don't have the depth, warmth fullness and the sense of space, warmth airiness and involvement when the same source material is played through my Phantoms as they do through my Paradigm/Anthem rig. (Which frankly is good hi-fi but not exceptional hi-fi). 

However, a two speaker Phantom system eclipses anything in the $5,000 range.  But I would like my sound to be a little more immersive. I was considering adding a second pair of Phantoms ( my room is roughly 25' X 30').  I am not sure if the Phantom's value proposition stands when talking about a 4 Phantom set-up vs. a well selected system which could partially be composed of high quality slightly used components (i.e. What  one could reasonably put together for $10,000).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sound like a 2:1 not Full Range speakers...IMO - by Lew L - 27-Mar-2016, 17:42