Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another looking to change/upgrade - suggestions?
I'm moving soon - the 'seat-cover' and the old goat (me), want to move closer to the off-spring as we shuffle into our twilight years!

The house we are looking at is a new-build, and I have been potentially allocated (by the boss) the dining room for my 'play-room' and office... not very big, but hopefully just enough.. being approx 12 x 9ft

Currently my system is in the kitchen of all places, but it is about 19 x 14 so quite a lot larger, and the Triangle Deltas are pretty good at filling the room with sound, especially when we get the grand-kids visiting demanding a disco afternoon... Overall, these speaker are on the exciting side and very versatile. On my own I like to listen to a wide range of music such as electronica, stuff like Himalayan/ asian traditional world music, trad jazz, spine tingling beautiful Haley Westernra (discovered from a track on Mike Oldfield's Music of the Spheres).

But... now I am moving, I am thinking I have gone so far with upgrades to the music server setup, so I feel the speakers could be improved on. Clarity, accuracy and wide sound stage are important to me, with a good bass reach for those tracks that need it, like toccata & fugue in D minor which is my all-time fav organ music.

Since I have come back to proper Hi-fi recently after 20 years, and maybe because I am a lot older, I couldn't believe how much I am 'moved' emotionally by some tracks that I have played for years on lesser systems that produced no real engagement.
It is obvious to me now that with a good system and good recordings you hear detail that transforms the experience from being mundane to spine-tingling, and I am convinced that with even better speakers, I would be able to experience & discover even more...

I blame my youngest Son (now 45) for his recent Man-cave idea, where he has (in a similar size room) a high quality ceiling projector & full-width pull-down screen, surround sound (front hif-fi speakers) rears/side/ and ceiling surround speakers built-in, a true entertainment room!

Whether I will go that far I don't know, but first for me is the speaker short-list - Budget-wise around £4-10k max.

They need to be comfortable in a room of the size I mentioned.

German-physics, and Raidho come to mind, but looking for additional alternatives?

Suggestions, gratefully received!

Thanks
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.

Messages In This Thread
Yet another looking to change/upgrade - suggestions? - by teddlesdee - 23-Mar-2016, 12:40