Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons
(17-Jun-2016, 16:48)Antoine Wrote:
(15-Jun-2016, 19:51)Celts88 Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 20:53)Antoine Wrote: I haven't compared to solutions like those of Auralic, Aurender, Melco etc. as I don't like the closed platforms these run and the prices they charge but this is my list with scores. Please, consider the scores HIGHLY subjective and indicative, they're not absolutes!! 

500 Sonore microRendu (Curious USB 0.2m) with Mutec MC-3+ USB (AES/EBU)
400 DIY music server (Curious USB 0.8m) with Mutec MC-3+ USB (AES/EBU)

Genuine question.

Why would I buy a Sonore microRendu / Curious USB 0.2m / Mutec MC-3+ USB when I could buy an Antipodes DS Server with internal 2Tb HDD, CD Ripper, and choice of either USB or AES output for a similar price (well, over here in Australia it would be)?

I can have a one box solution with the Antipodes DS with internal HDD (SSD is too much for me at present) instead of microRendu and Mutec

Antipodes DS

One would probably do this for one reason: better sound quality. And although I 'feel' the microRendu should easily outperform the Antipodes DS (which is in it's basis a hard- and software optimized PC running Linux) I can't be sure as I have never heard it myself. I haven't come across any comparisons between the two as well.

Comparing the functionality of both is an apples to oranges comparison. The microRendu is designed to be a lightweight and thus low-noise, HQ output endpoint/renderer, so not a powerful feature rich machine. Of of the key design principles behind the mR is to move the 'heavy lifting' upstream on different computer as far away from the DAC as possible. Smile

The sonicTransporter could for example be such a machine although to me this is nothing but a low cost, small and power efficient machine but of course pre-configured software wise. Any computer (PC or Mac) could do though.

Personally with computer audio I believe the days of needing or wanting optimized computers are near to over and I think we'll be moving more and more to purpose built hardware like the microRendu or purpose built bridging hardware that'll take some output from a general purpose computer and convert that to USB/AES/EBU/SPDIF/I2S/...for example a Dante/Ravenna device like the Merging NADAC (but without the built-in DAC) or something like an Focusrite Rednet device (or one similar future device targeted at consumer/high end audio) that'll accept an ethernet input and output SPDIF/AES/EBU. So a bit more like AIR and the streamers like those of an Aurender but without the closed ecosystem lock-in of those platforms.

The idea behind AIR IMO has always been a great one, it's execution OTOH less so! Wink

The Antipodes may be "a hard- and software optimized PC running Linux", but the microRendu also needs a computer to send it music files, and as double the cables (not counting if people also add in a Mutec). Both options are not much difference in price (if going with PC/microRendu/Mutec option, or Antipodes DS), and I like the idea of this all being contained in the one unit (Antipodes).

Now if AIR worked we could go direct from a PC and wouldn't the extra box or cable  Dodgy

Realise this isn't an AIR thread, but still don't understand what the benefit of AIR is, does it have something where no Jitter reaches the Devialet by going via Wi-Fi, and the Devialet does it's magic internally with the music file via internal DAC/etc.
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)

Messages In This Thread
RE: microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons - by Celts88 - 17-Jun-2016, 19:23