Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons
Some interesting comments. First to consider PhilP's point;

'I understand you're a PC-user and so perhaps can't easily try it but AIR 3 offers very significant SQ improvements over AIR 2 which, based on the observations you've made, should put it ahead of MR/iFi.'

Maybe, yes, but maybe not! For a while I have suspected that Windows AIR 2 sounds a lot better than Mac AIR 2. OK, I think those that have tried Mac AIR 3 have almost universally reported an improvement in SQ, to it would seam quite a respectable level. The thing is, I suspect that this simply puts Mac AIR 3 in the same ball park as Windows AIR 2. I have posted about this elsewhere, and indeed laid down a challenge for anyone with both a Mac and a PC to do a back to back test. Unfortunately, nobody had has actually tried this. So I have a different perspective, I think that finding that the mR, with iFi power, sounds similar to Windows AIR 2 is possibly just more evidence that Windows AIR 2 is already performing at reasonably high level. OK, all a bit evidence based and theoretical, indeed, it would be great if someone could put this to the test!

Then to Antoine's question;

'How many hours of playback do you have on it BTW? Many, including the designer, recommend letting it play for at least two days straight (around 50H) before critically evaluating it's performance. Whatever way one thinks about break/burn-in it won't hurt.'

A good question! I know that burn in is a little bit of a controversial subject, but I know many consider this a serious factor, and so I should have mentioned it in my write up for completeness. OK; I have had the mR over a week and during this time it has been left on and so has been warm for over 200 hours, but it certainly has NOT had 50 hours use, maybe nearer 10. Perhaps worth mentioning that it also has a brand new USB cable, an Audioquest Carbon. Then to the point about me effectively evaluating the USB input as much as the mR, I too suspect this could be the key factor behind the bass issue I noted, and this also ties in with my audition of the N1Z, and Aurender N10 via USB. For completeness, perhaps I should mention this is the first time I have enabled the USB on my Devialet at home, so for burn in fanatics, the USB input has probably only had 10 hours running time!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: microRendu - Sound Quality observations and comparisons - by Confused - 10-Jul-2016, 17:23