Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparison between Wilson Benesch Vector / Sonus Faber Olympica II / Kef Reference 3
(11-Jun-2016, 09:23)Bartype Wrote: Allright yesterday i did an audition of both the B&W 804 D3 and the SF Olympica II at a dealer in Amsterdam who has also Devialet. This way it wasn't necessary to bring my own Devialet to the party.

In short, the B&W sounds very good, controlled, detailed, bass needed where needed, but never too much (which is a very interesting thing considering my smallish room). But, and yes, there is a but, compared to the SF there was still something missing which the SF has: Music!

I don't know how to describe it exactly, it's something of a feeling. It become most clear when you play a piece of good recorded piano. On all other speakers i listen to the past few weeks piano sounds, well, like a keyboard, a recording, something, but not really like a piano as you know it when you hear it live.
When you start the piano piece, in my case part 2 of the 'Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto no 2' on the SF you hear it immediately: this is different. This sounds like a piano, this feels like a piano, this IS a piano...

As always there are also other buts: i make it myself very difficult to be a music lover who doesn't only like classic and jazz, but finds something cool in almost every genre out there. So electronica for example in all it's variants is something i listen to for about 35% of the time, and well, electronica isn't the thing where the SF's excels. There are others, like the Kef and B&W which sounds better there. Not by much however, but it's there.

But that being said, the SF are coming for a play party at my house next week, so this is going to be very interesting!

I'll keep you guys (are there any girls here, or anywhere in the audio high end for that matter?) informed!

Have you decided not to audition the B&Ws at home?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comparison between Wilson Benesch Vector / Sonus Faber Olympica II / Kef Reference 3 - by Axel - 11-Jun-2016, 10:57