Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB + PCM -> DSD conversion
It is interesting to consider what the difference is between upsampling via something like JRiver / HQPlayer, and via the 'hardware' option of the dCS. One difference is clear, about an additional £14000 for the dCS upsampler. Plus, the dCS utilises a 'master clock' which is about £10000. The dCS rig was clearly better with the master clock, it works fine without it, but sounded much better with.

So what does the £14k upsampler do that a decently powered PC with HQPlayer can't? There is stuff the dCS does such as galvanic isolation of the network, and so on. But in terms of the upsampling, computing power, software, I do not know.

I did wonder after listening to the dCS performing it's DSD upsampling tricks, how much of the improvement is 'real' and how much is 'created' by the up-sampling / down-sampling process. From what I heard, I would say it is doing something very real and impressive. However, I would need to spend a lot more time listening to the thing to be sure. Is the dSC doing something say HQPlayer can't? I suspect it is, although I have no hard facts, I guess I am thinking that for the price it should be doing something very special!

One point to note SwissBear, the dCS demo I had was with a good old fashioned D800 (not a D900 / O'dA), and yes it did sound stunning, I am just not sure exactly why! The performance of the dCS with DSD is in my head now, this is why DSD up-sampling is now on my (very long!) 'to do' list.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
USB + PCM -> DSD conversion - by SwissBear - 13-Jun-2016, 11:18
RE: USB + PCM -> DSD conversion - by Confused - 13-Jun-2016, 12:20
RE: USB + PCM -> DSD conversion - by Antoine - 13-Jun-2016, 12:29
RE: USB + PCM -> DSD conversion - by SwissBear - 15-Jun-2016, 10:05
RE: USB + PCM -> DSD conversion - by SwissBear - 13-Jun-2016, 13:07
RE: USB + PCM -> DSD conversion - by Confused - 13-Jun-2016, 13:41
RE: USB + PCM -> DSD conversion - by MIKE - 13-Jun-2016, 20:00
RE: USB + PCM -> DSD conversion - by Antoine - 15-Jun-2016, 17:44