Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frequency measurements with different inputs
My username is Divasson but today I would steal Confused's. Bear with me.

My sole source is a Mac Mini + Audirvana 2.0 -> Devialet 200 -> Mapleshade double helix -> Gallo Strada 2 on Mapleshade stands. Power cables are Mapleshade clearview. There is a Russ Andrews ultra purifier power filter in parallel.

I had try to make Ethernet Air work seamlessly with Audirvana without success (very cumbersome to change sampling frequency and most of my latest purchases are high rez), so I set on USB. It was clear, but too uncomfortable to listen in the medium term. So I downloaded the REW wizard software and connected a calibrated U-Mik microphone.

Here are the readings: (if you can't see them, I have uploaded also as pictures in the attached files)

No wonder it does not sound good! This comb-like profile screams "interference". And look at the -30 dB through peak-to-peak at 1160 Hz!!
Lets try then Ethernet (keeping everything else connected all the time).

A little better, but not too much. What is happening here?

Let's see Wifi Air:

Better, but still a lot of comb-like effect in the highs.

Just for the sake of completeness, lets try Toslink. I bought sometime ago a 256-fiberglass toslink cable (as opposed to typical plastic fiber ones)

The best of them all by far. What is happening here? Can anyone of you enlighten me? (that's what I meant by "Confused")

Let's compare all of them together. See that wifi air gets the "combs" in line with USB, NOT Ethernet Air:

Again: can someone help me?

More findings: the picture is basically the same if I keep only one connection active (i.e., if I disconnect the Ethernet when using USB and viceversa, and disconnecting both when using Wifi or Toslink)

As for sound, Toslink is the most comfortable to listen to of all - while it may lack some clarity and bite compared with the others.

The others may be unlistenable from time to time, depending on the recording.
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable

Messages In This Thread
Frequency measurements with different inputs - by Divasson - 23-Sep-2014, 19:58