Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devi + Vinyl
(01-Aug-2016, 03:29)Les Anderson Wrote: I don't think we cheat ourselves for the following reasons.

1. The A/D process done right, even at 16 bits, never mind 24 bits provides ample headroom to support the dynamic range of what vinyl is capable of. In my experience, and many others as well- modern A/D converters that are well implemented are transparent.

2. The Devialet does RIAA equalization in the digital domain, where it can be implemented +/- 0 DB flat. In the analog domain, there is no such thing. There will always be deviation from the true spec.

3. The digital domain allows for SAM and RAM, two features that are not realistic in the analog domain. Both of these have enormous potential for huge audible gains, much more so than a loss theoretical loss from converting from analog to digital.

You cannot take a single facet of the Expert platform, in this case how analog/phono is handled and criticize it on its own. You need to understand and appreciate what digital as a whole is bringing to the entire platform and then ask yourself if avoiding that extra A/D conversion is enough to warrant doing away with all of the  cumulative gains that digitizing the analog signal brings to the table.

We enjoy a noiseless and lossless volume control, powerful DSP, microprocessor controlled everything and the most elegant design and footprint in the history of HiFi.

The phono sounds damn good too!

Of course, I take all those points into consideration. Moreover, I do not say that nowadays digital domain is not able to transmit the entire analog sound spectrum - I think yes, it is (however some of vinyl lovers will not agree with me).

My doubt is whether it makes sense to play the music this way - buy/collect vinyls?... unless you already have them.
So far, you've had a chance to be in touch with "live", analog music and equipment, that sometimes souned better because ...  was "analog". Now, its difficult to show the "added values" (as long as you play through Devi) Smile. At the end of the day, analog tracks sound as good as digital A-D-A converter lets them.

Messages In This Thread
Devi + Vinyl - by MIKE - 30-Jul-2016, 16:35
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by pjcamera - 30-Jul-2016, 20:21
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by MIKE - 30-Jul-2016, 22:25
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by Les Anderson - 01-Aug-2016, 03:29
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by MIKE - 01-Aug-2016, 12:54
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by f1eng - 01-Aug-2016, 14:44
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by Les Anderson - 01-Aug-2016, 20:37
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by ozthepoz - 01-Aug-2016, 08:23
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by f1eng - 01-Aug-2016, 09:04
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by DelaneyB - 16-Sep-2016, 10:11
RE: Devi + Vinyl - by srima - 16-Sep-2016, 13:07