Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Details of Devialet tone control system etc.
First time posting here, from a newbie considering purchasing a D400 or D800. I'm a long-term audiophile, with more than 30 years under my belt of listening to many high end systems. I am a computer science professor, and fortunately live in a rural area, so I can enjoy my hobby with multiple systems. 

I like the portability of the Devialet amplifiers. I own a large house, where I have multiple systems. It would be nice to move the D400 or D800 to different rooms to listen to various speakers (ranging from the massive B&W 800 Diamond to the sublime Quad ESL 63s and 57s, Harbeth Monitor 40s, and the Magneplanar 3.6rs). A lot easier than moving the speakers, especially since some of them are in my basement home theater. 

Unfortunately, I can't listen to the D400 or D800, since there's no dealer near me. Buying something this expensive blind worries me, but I'll put that aside for now. I have a lot of questions, but I'll try to spread them out over multiple postings. 

First off, there's a frustrating lack of detail in Devialet's literature. There is talk of a tone control system, but precisely what does it do? Does it boost or reduce bass or treble around a certain frequency? Or is it a more useful tilt control that reduces all the content above or below a certain frequency? 

In the phono configuration, you are asked to specify the maximum output of your cartridge. This must be wrong, or perhaps not accurately stated. I assume they mean the average output for a specific modulation (most cartridge specs have a rated voltage output, which is of course not their maximum output). 

Finally, Devialet's somewhat exaggerated claims of the Phantom worry me about their claims about the Devialet amplifier as well. Am I to take everything they say with a pinch of salt? "1000 times better than any other speaker"! This is not a scientific statement, but pure hyperbole! I cannot recall another manufacturer making such a statement. For a young company, they must realize such statements will likely turn off serious audiophiles like me! 

Is the Phantom really 1000 times better than the Quad ESL 63 or the Harbeth Monitor 40, two legendary audiophile speakers, both used as reference monitors worldwide. How much of this fancy talk affect the actual performance of their Expert line (perhaps the Phantom line is being marketed to rich non-audiophiles, not to the discerning group of audiophiles who compare the sound of the speaker to the real thing). 

Sorry for rambling, but thought I would get some of my concerns off my chest! I would very much like to buy the D400 or D800, but we're talking a lot of money here, and I want some reassurance from existing owners that these products really do represent the state of the art.  I realize ultimately there's no substitute to actual listening at a dealer, which I am going to try to do over the next week or two. Any advice much appreciated!

Messages In This Thread
Details of Devialet tone control system etc. - by srima - 05-Aug-2016, 19:05