Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The amplifier being replaced by my D400

This is the mighty Krell 700cx. It weighs about 200 pounds and counting, has razor sharp heat sinks on either side that I have been mauled by numerous times (when not paying it the respect it deserves), and serves to nicely heat up my large listening room. It happily consumes as much electricity as you give it. Measurements made by Martin Colloms in Hi-Fi News and Record Review showed the 700cx produces almost 900 watts into 8 ohms, and keeps doubling into lower impedances until your electric connection gives up. 

But, all that aside, I have never heard a better amplifier. I have tried it with speakers of all shapes and sizes. Believe it or not, some of the best sound I heard came when the 700cx was driving a pair of bookshelf Spendor S3/5. Glorious midrange, deep soundstage, and dynamics that made you almost forget you were listening to a tiny speaker. With the big B&W 800s, there's effectively no volume limit. Things actually do not get loud, surprisingly. The soundstage just gets larger and instruments sound more powerful. The presence on voices is amazing. Large scale opera takes on a whole new dimension. 

Will the D400 be an effective replacement? I have my doubts. Can a diminutive 20 pound weakling taken on a 200 pound Goliath? On Thursday, the matchup will begin. Who will win? Let the bidding begin!

Messages In This Thread
The amplifier being replaced by my D400 - by srima - 10-Aug-2016, 00:18