Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos Connect - Return on experience
I think Damon may be being a bit hard on Sonos; my experience has been generally more positive and I'd say 8/10 without much hesitation.  Maybe it depends on how you're using it - I see Damon's main sources are on-line streaming services whereas I tend to use it much more frequently to play my own music library and to listen to Internet radio (normally via TuneIn), both of which it does well.

I also use the dedicated Sonos controller (CR100) which is an aged piece of kit - evident in the UI - but has a certain retro charm and is easier to use (IMO) than the software controllers for MacOS or phones/tablets.  Interestingly the CR100 does a pretty good job of "remembering" your navigation steps in an intuitive way; in that respect it is definitely better than the software controllers.  But that might be academic unless you can get hold of one.

As to the Connect itself, there's not much to say.  It does what it's supposed to, and the mesh radio network is solid (at least in my case, but everybody's network is different).  It conveniently has analog line inputs, which I find quite useful as the input can then be shared across the Sonos network.  That may or may not be relevant to you, I suppose.  You could argue that it's quite expensive for what it does, and I wouldn't argue much with that.  But there is a strong second-hand market (at least in the UK) so even if you try one as an experiment it shouldn't be expensive if you don't get along with it.  Actually I think Sonos offer a 45-day money-back-if-not-happy service if you buy directly from them so there is little risk in trying one.

PS: just saw your second post in this thread. I have one Connect with the W4S modification and yes, I think it is worth it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sonos Connect - Return on experience - by thumb5 - 12-Sep-2016, 22:30