Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos Connect - Return on experience
(17-Sep-2016, 05:59)streamy Wrote: Spark has its weaknesses. But since the last update (ver. 1.6.2) it became quite stable and useful. Spotify connect works really well. Spark allows to stream from local drives (up to 24/192k without drop-outs), streaming services (I use Qobuz,which works really well in cd quality streaming), and internet radio. It is extreamly fast in building up the catalog. Much faster than any upnp servers I have experienced since 2003. In the beginning (March 2015) I still needed airplay via optical in, then chromecast audio, also optical in. But now, both airplay and anything using chromecast are buggier and less responsive. So besides spotify connect and a Raspberry PI with optical out and a MPD interface I don't use anymore other streaming tools than Spark. The RPi allows me to use room correction with brutefir. My favorite player on the RPi is the moode player.
To Spark: It features now global search function, global playlists, song, artist and album catalogs, but unfortunately not yet genres. Also a folder structure would be my preference instead of a flat list. Then more infos from the metatags would be an important feature to know at least the audio format. As temporary fix I have added the audioformat to the song title. My local library consists of ALAC and mp3, mostly. I have chosen ALAC over FLAG because Spark was much more responsive to ALAC when skipping songs or jumping to another location within a song. All operations take less than 1s, often are almost instant. Airplay got much worse when they introduced a 2s buffer and therefore such a long delay except when you turned on screen sharing. Similar buffering in Chomecast audio.
I have no experience with Sonos, but have read that it cannot handle hires audio, which is important to me and works very well in Spark and on the RPi, not at all with airplay and very buggy with Chromecast audio.
I used a ZP90 for a while until I discovered Roon. Now using a roon endpoint (initially Sonicorbitor SE but now a raspberry pi with hifiberry digi+). I don't notice a difference between either endpoint and Roon's interface is amazing and streams HD audio and integrates seamlessly wirh Tidal lossless.  Highly recommend Roon as you can make an endpoint for less than $100 and use the savings over a few sonos zp90's to fund lifetime subscription.  I also Roon endpoint into Oppo HA-1 with Hifiman HE-1000 headphones which is also great plus a few others for distribution to various rooms in house.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sonos Connect - Return on experience - by Lolo90 - 18-Sep-2016, 20:06