Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Gold measurements: a stunning web first!
The Devialet Phantom Gold is a relatively new speaker, and while I've seen reviews of it in various places, I've never seen actual measurements of it. Devialet themselves have never released any measurements of this speaker to my knowledge. 

I've had my Golds for a week now, and after about 50 or so hours of playing them, I figured it was high time to do some measurements. There are of course many ways to measure loudspeakers, and many measurement systems. I am going to report on measurements done using short sine wave sweeps, of the kind that are typically used in room correction systems. This is different from pink noise measurements as well as from impulse response measurements. 

In measuring speakers, many other factors need to be considered, such as the type of smoothing one chooses. I chose 1/3 octave smoothing, which produces a reasonably smooth curve while revealing gross anomalies. One can use 1/6th octave smoothing etc. 

My setup has been shown before in my review of the Phantom Gold's (which you can find in the forum on D400 and mono block units). It's been very well viewed, so I am going to assume you've seen that already. 

I will show below frequency responses and impulse responses for the left and right channel separately. This is done to get a more accurate picture of each individual speaker. Overall, the responses are simply STUNNING for a small speaker. The bass is very extended, in fact a bit too much since my Golds are close to the back wall, and extends to below 20 Hz. The response is remarkably devoid of large irregularities in the midrange and treble, although a few bumps and dips are always expected. The treble is slightly rolled off as it should be.  

The measured response fully vindicates my glowing review of the Gold's (glittering review?). Devialet is asking for a paltry $3K for a speaker that should cost upwards of $10K. It's a bargain in every sense of the word. Snap it up before they wise up, and bump up the prices. You won't find a deal like this anytime soon. This is a full high fidelity system, not a speaker, and one that will put many a more expensive speaker/hifi system to shame. It's compact, and elegant to look at (although one of my neighbors commented on how it looked like the kind of headphones that Apple likes to use -- remarkably apt description). 

I will provide more measurements in the days ahead, including distortion, and many others. I am using the OmniMic measurement system, which is very well thought of in the professional world. See the below links. 

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/omn...ystem.html

$300 from Parts Express. Read the glowing reviews yourself: 

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audi...m--390-792

Dear me, I'm forgetting something. Ah yes, the measurements themselves! Here you go... :-) 

Messages In This Thread
Phantom Gold measurements: a stunning web first! - by srima - 24-Sep-2016, 03:52