Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Gold Review in HiFi Choice
(11-Nov-2016, 09:10)yabaVR Wrote:
(07-Nov-2016, 14:05)JohnnySix Wrote: I wonder if SAM becomes less effective (and in fact more obtrusive) as one goes up the speaker chain? Or maybe some speaker designs are just not as amenable as others.

That's just our experience (a group of 3 D-owners). Every time we fire up SAM you would loose all the finest details in music and stage build up. It's like cutting away the room around the instruments. For the quick shot hearing you can locate the sound objects more precisely but you loose all their connection to the room they were recorded in. They get loose. If you hear further on you notice that the whole composition of the music get's lost. It's no more homogeneous.

If you think of it from the theoretical point it (SAM etc.) has to be malicious to the music because you are altering the music signal to accomplish a correction of speaker parameters. It's just the wrong way working (against the stream). You have to alter the speaker itself to get the music signal untouched, because doing the way SAM and digital room correction does it, is like cutting through the 3D matrix of the musical signal and altering every object of sound even roomreflections recorded (be it for the timeline or frequencies, both).
You are swirling everything in the musical 3D matrix up through space  Confused  ( I have no other words for it, difficult to describe, but I hope you get the idea).

gui

Hi Gui,
I notice that your signature says "200 (mod)". Have you had it upgraded, or modified it yourself? If you don't mind me asking, what did you do to it? What effect has it had on SQ? Is it something that the rest of us might benefit from?

Cheers,

Alex.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom Gold Review in HiFi Choice - by Axel - 12-Nov-2016, 03:57