Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Gold Review in HiFi Choice
(15-Nov-2016, 19:33)Antoine Wrote: Very interesting; not something I would do (mod the insides of my D) but very interesting nonetheless! Smile

These pins connecting the loudspeakers terminals from a riser indeed can't be the optimal way. But regarding the XLR/AES3 connector; it could be -in theory- that Devialet did do the proper engineering and does some important impedance matching on the PCB. We can't know for sure they did or didn't.

Hi Antoine,
as you said before you are a sucker for SQ (so am I Big Grin  ). So this would be a must have modification for you despite your anxiety. But I have to admit that even me would not rip apart a brand new PRO. It would take me at least a week before I couldn't stand it  Tongue .

From day one you've done this mods you would never ever stand the poor (very poor) sound of a Power-Filter(-IEC) and this crappy binding posts (plus Devialet-Design)...never, I promise. It even wouldn't bother me to do this mods to an Od'A if I would call one my own...the gain of SQ is just too big.

Just to tease...we are all trying to get to the ultimate, pure, natural, 'Being There' sound. But very often we try to fix things at the wrong place in the audio chain (see SAM or digital room correction...maybe I will elaborate on that later).

One example. The improvement of bass is substantial with this mods. It is so much more precise, deeper, less boomy, transparent, has thrust. I have no need any more to do a digital room correction to the bass. I know the room-modes don't magically vanish, but they are so less prominent I don't care anymore. I enjoy the best time aligned bass I have ever heard in my room.

The better the audio chain gets the more it adapts to the room (ok, my theory Rolleyes ) or better said, the less the room affects your audio chain back through your speakers. Has anybody ever thought of your speakers acting like a microphone? Yes it does. Room reflections shout back onto your speakers. It's not a one way ticket for the signal  Idea   .

And you guess, it doesn't stopp with the bass. 

gui

@ Antoine
I know my laptop is not the best source (although highly moded). I hope I get time to build a system aquivalent to something that you built up.

For the impedance of XLR. To me there is too much amphasize on these measured values. Impedance may get important when using xx-meter-cables but for the normal approach it's just a value. It does not picture the sound. For me the XLR (after the mod) got improved in timing, transparency and the like (only tested with a C.E.C. drive though).
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom Gold Review in HiFi Choice - by yabaVR - 16-Nov-2016, 09:38