Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preouts and the WM8740 D/A chip questions
Hello,

I had a question about the preouts of the Devialet pro models. 

I understand the magic of the Devialet is experienced best through the speaker outs, as the entire chain from dac to amp is integrated and optimised for this.

In that case, it sounds like one might be making some sacrifices by using the preouts. Also in the preout specs for the Devialet pro 130, it mentions a "WM8740 D/A convertor operating at 24 bits/192 kHz" which is confusing because the main system already uses a much more superior PCM1792 dac chip.

So my questions are:

1) In technical terms, exactly what sound quality compromises are being made when using the pre-outs? Is it just not having access to SAM? Or are there more things that we give up?
2) What exactly is this WM8740 D/A convertor supposed to be doing with respect to the preouts?
3) When using preouts with digital inputs, is my digital audio signal being converted to analog by the superior PCM1792 or the more inferior WM8740?
4) Has anyone done any actual testing and have any quantitative or qualitative comparisons of the differences between speaker out and preout?

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Preouts and the WM8740 D/A chip questions - by xfei86 - 13-Nov-2016, 02:41