Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why is the D400 "better" than the D200
As I understand Devialet the improvement in sound when going dual mono is doubling the Voltage/channel. As I know D/A conversion is only done in the master amp. But I can not believe that it's only the voltage/power/less distortion that improves the sound to such amounts.
The times I cornpared a D200 to a D250 or D400  I allways felt there was something going on in the DSP. My thoughts are, if the configurator sees a 250/double mono at hand it gives order to the DSP to pull some filter(s) off the signal path that gives the 'better' amps the more transparent sound with more transients and 'silk' in it. But I'm sure they will never uncover this if they alter the sound this way (VW-style), in terms of reasoning nearly double price of 250 to 200.

I would go with the  D220 because it's the more advanced technically speaking and you can go dual mono anytime in the future with a used D220 (companion) if you feel the need. It might be difficult to make a D220 'sing' at the moment but as sources improve that much nowadays and AIR3 final is at the door it won't take you long.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is the D400 "better" than the D200 - by yabaVR - 01-Dec-2016, 21:31