Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono Amps and/or SUT
f1eng is of course correct, the Graham Slee Elevator EXP is a powered pre-preamp, and the Devialet already has a configurable powered pre-amp as an integral part of the built in phono stage.  However, I do not think this is the full story.  Whilst the Devilaet phono stage is excellent, and arguably the most accurate phono stage possible, it is flawed.  A number of users have reported audible hiss when used with low output MC cartridges.  In addition, some users have reported improvements when using a SUT in the chain.  Graham Slee describe the Elevator EXP as an 'MC Step-up Amplifier'.  So it is a kind of solid state mimic of the function of a SUT.

Personally, I see no reason why something as simple as the Graham Slee Elevator EXP should add much in the way of distortion, less so any euphonic distortion.  Although it is another item in the audio chain, this is a bad thing, but considering the hiss produced by the Devialet phono stage, I cannot see that the 'built-in' powered pre-amp is working optimally with MC cartridges.  If it was it wouldn't hiss!

So I can see a scenario in which something like the Graham Slee would indeed offer a genuine sound quality improvement, providing enough gain so that the Devialet phono stage is working in it's optimum range and hence hiss free, there could be all sorts of subtle things going on here.  The question is, what is the best solution?  In effect the Graham Slee performs the same task as an SUT via a different technology.  Which is best?  Both add a potentially unnecessary item and extra cable into the audio chain, so is the Devialet phono stage still the best on it's own with no SUT or anything else?  I also wonder if the method of providing the cartridge loading with the Graham Slee is any different to using the Devialet alone, thinking this one through, I suspect not.

I have to declare that I have never tried an SUT or a powered pre-amp.  I have tried alternative phono stages, the best of which was a Tom Evans Groove, which after much A/B testing I found to be inferior to the Devialet's offering.  (This was with a low output Ortofon Cadenza Black)  So all I know from my experience is that the Devialet phono stage performs to a very high level, hiss or not.  I suspect the Devialet phono stage could be improved with an SUT or powered pre-amp, but this is just conjecture.  Trying an SUT is on my audio 'to do' list, but I have to say it is quite a long way down the list at the moment, too little free time and many other things planned!  Having said that, I would love to try the Graham Slee vs a decent SUT vs the Devialet phono stage alone, this would be fascinating, but would take a bit of organising to do properly.

EDIT:  I noticed this on the 'net re the Graham Slee; "Unlike a step up transformer hum cannot be induced into it, and it's far more linear making for a tighter bass response." 

OK, I get the bit about hum, this is clear.  However, this statement suggests an SUT is not fully linear?  Is there any truth in this?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Jim_Anderson - 27-Jan-2017, 05:31
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Soniclife - 27-Jan-2017, 12:03
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by f1eng - 27-Jan-2017, 14:06
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Jim_Anderson - 27-Jan-2017, 17:16
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by f1eng - 27-Jan-2017, 17:49
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Jim_Anderson - 27-Jan-2017, 18:35
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Soniclife - 27-Jan-2017, 18:28
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Confused - 29-Jan-2017, 10:16
RE: Phono Amps and/or SUT - by Blackmorec - 15-Jan-2018, 10:46