Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We want to "grab" the whole market
(21-Feb-2017, 16:11)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(21-Feb-2017, 15:20)IanG-UK Wrote: I'm far from convinced by the expansive retail argument at least whilst you are a company with only two largely non-interactive and quite expensive products. Apple has at least six (pod, pad, phone, watch, laptop, desktop) with lots of model variations and peripherals and cross-sells, with a much higher level of product interactivity. Other manufacturers pursuing this route include Sony - who appear to be successful - and Bose and B&O and Meridian - who appear to be less so. Perhaps much rests on product launches which will excite lots of people and which I cannot envisage. But the mobile World Wide Web, which underpins much of what Apple does, has no unexploited Devialet equivalent I can think of.

I reckon you're spot on Ian. They want to grab the market but the market they're in isn't anywhere near as big as Apple's. if they want to compare with anyone, they should compare themselves with Bose. They are the company with probably the biggest turnover in audio alone (a billion dollars a year) and the most recognised name.

Not that you would want to be compared with Bose on a product basis... Huh

I do see a lot of Devialet advertising. The Phantom has been on the last page of the Virgin Australia magazine for months now. But my best guess is that most people just glance at it and put the magazine away. I have yet to come across someone who mentions Devialet to me in any context.

We're a lonely bunch and that's the way it should stay.

Well 40k Phantom units have been sold so far and another 50k expected this year alone. Turnover is doubling every year. Already at 60M euros in 2016 Devialet is quite a bit bigger than most (if not all?) other hi-fi companies. People are obviously buying the Phantoms in droves.

If they can get ADH and SAM into completely new environments then I think they can crack it. My guess is that they could easily displace Bose within a few years. 

Many companies in technology are now emulating Apple, this is nothing new.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: We want to "grab" the whole market - by GuillaumeB - 21-Feb-2017, 16:17