Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those of you with two tonearms/cartridges
Here's my scenario.

I have two tone arms, one with a stereo cartridge and one with a mono cartridge.

Since it is a VPI table and tone arms, it is reasonable simple to swap them out.

I see myself as having two options on how to manage this with my Devialet 440 Pro.

Option #1 - Configure another input for the second tone arm and cartridge (MONO).  This second input would have it's own phono cable plugged in, so when I do a swap I would just need to swap arms and the RCA connection at the back of the VPI junction box.

This seems straightforward except for the grounding wire. My naive question is can I just leave the grounding wire that is already connected for  my current tone arm and cartridge, in place and just disconnect the RCA cables with the ground still connected? 

Option #2 - would be to make a separate configuration for the MONO arm and cartridge on an SD card. This means I would have to swap SD cards and re start when I wanted to use a different arm. I would not however have to swap phono cables or worry about the ground wire, because I would be using the same input and phono cable.

I would prefer Option #1 if no one sees an issue with using the ground wire on one cable connected to the stereo input, while using the mono input on another line in with a different phono cable without a ground.

Make sense?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US

Messages In This Thread
For those of you with two tonearms/cartridges - by baddog - 31-May-2017, 00:26